The AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships are granted to female individuals who plan to undertake a full-time academic program at accredited higher education institutions within the United States during the fellowship year.
In this article, we will explore the eligibility requirements for this fellowship, and the benefits of receiving this prestigious award. We will also provide tips and guidance for applying for this fellowship as you will also get to find out when to submit your application.
About The Fellowship
Selected Professions Fellowships were first introduced in 1970 with the support of a $25,000 grant from the Max C. Fleischmann Foundation. The primary objective of these fellowships was to encourage women’s participation in traditionally male-dominated fields such as law and medicine.
However, over time, the scope of these fellowships has broadened to include other areas such as science and technology. This is in response to the increasing demand for a technologically skilled workforce, which has not been met by the proportional representation of women in these fields.
Eligible candidates for these fellowships must be women who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and plan to pursue a full-time course of study in one of the designated degree programs at accredited U.S. institutions, where women’s participation has been historically low.
Available Courses for Studies Under AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships
The master’s programs listed below are eligible for Selected Professions Fellowships.
- Computer/information sciences.
Fellowships for the following academic programs are exclusively available to women of color, who have been historically underrepresented in these fields.
- Masters in business administration.
- Doctorate in medicine.
AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships Worth/Benefits
$20,000 is the value or amount of funding provided through the Selected Professions Fellowships.
Selected Professions Fellowships Worth has the fellowship benefits;
- Educational costs
- Living expenses,
- Childcare for dependents
- Travel expenses for attending professional meetings, conferences, or seminars. However, the travel expenses should not exceed 10% of the total fellowship amount.
Criteria For Selection
The Selected Professions Fellowships are evaluated based on various criteria, which include the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting education and equity for women and girls.
- The clear reason for pursuing higher education.
- Alignment of study plan with career objectives.
- Potential as a practicing professional and as a role model in innovative or nontraditional fields of study, research, or practice.
- Intention to contribute to the betterment of society through the chosen profession, particularly in advancing the status of women and girls.
- Evidence of opportunities available in the selected field of study.
- Feasibility of study plans and proposed schedule.
- Validity of the proposed budget and budget narrative, including any external support.
- Quality of the written proposal.
- Demonstrated academic excellence and success.
- Applicants from underrepresented racial/ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated financial need.
- Priority is given to women who have not yet obtained a master’s or professional degree.
- Special consideration is given to applicants who intend to enter fields with underrepresented women, serve under-resourced communities, pursue public interest areas, or are nontraditional students.
- The Selected Professions Fellowships offered by AAUW are granted to female citizens or permanent residents of the US, including those who identify as female, who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement, and who exhibit potential for distinction in their respective fields.
- To be eligible for the fellowship, applicants must be enrolled as full-time students in a US institution that is accredited for the entire academic year and must pursue their course of study within the United States. Preference is given to women who have not yet obtained a master’s or first professional degree.
- Individuals who have previously been granted any national fellowship or grant from AAUW, excluding branch or local awards or Community Action Grants, are not eligible to apply for the Selected Professions Fellowships.
- Applicants who are seeking financial support for bachelor’s degrees, associate degrees, certification programs, technical school, and other master’s degrees are advised by AAUW to review the eligibility criteria for Career Development Grants. It should be noted that applicants are allowed to submit only one application for an AAUW award per year.
The application process includes;
- Submitting an online
- Application form
- Official transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation and a
- personal statement.
The application process begins on August 1st every year and ends on December 1st every year.
FAQ On AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships
The Selected Professions Fellowships are awarded by the American Association of University Women (AAUW) to women pursuing graduate degrees in fields where women are traditionally underrepresented, including architecture, computer science, engineering, mathematics, and physical sciences. The fellowship provides financial assistance to women who are committed to advancing their careers and serving their communities.
Who is eligible to apply for the AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships?
Women who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and who are enrolled or accepted into a full-time, accredited graduate program in one of the eligible fields, are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
Applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to the advancement of women and girls in their field and in their community.
How much funding does the AAUW Selected Professions Fellowship provide?
The amount of funding varies depending on the program and the level of study. The fellowship can provide up to $18,000 for master’s degree programs, up to $30,000 for doctoral programs, and up to $5,000 for postdoctoral research.
How are the AAUW Selected Professions Fellowships recipients selected?
Applications are reviewed by a panel of experts in the relevant fields, and selections are based on academic achievement, leadership potential, and commitment to advancing women and girls in the field.
Can the AAUW Selected Professions Fellowship be renewed?
Yes, recipients of the fellowship may be eligible to renew their award for a second year of funding, depending on their academic progress and continued commitment to advancing women and girls in their field.
This fellowship and grant offered by AAUW can provide women with the financial support and opportunities they need to advance their careers and make a positive impact in their communities.
These grants are designed to help women who have completed their undergraduate degrees pursue additional education or training.
The grant can be used for tuition, books, and other educational expenses. This can be particularly beneficial for women who have taken time off from their careers to raise children or care for family members and are looking to re-enter the workforce.